Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Children's gift etiquette..


After your advice people..what happens with giving gifts to children you don't know awfully well and the fact that they may already have said gift?

Does the parent graciously thank you with a pleasant smile and keep tight-lipped? Do they say "oh he/she's got one of these, aren't they great?"! Or...does the child (of conversation age) blurt out "I've already got this, what else is there?"!

Help...for some freakish reason I couldn't sleep last night even though I was exhasuted and this scenario was running through my mind.

3 comments:

  1. I was talking about this just the other day & have decided that if I get repeats for Chloes first bday I will say a nic ebig thank you & take them bake quietly in exchange for something we actually need. That also goes for things she doesnt need, ie too many toys & stuffed animals. I dont know what happens in the reverse situation, different people react very differently to these situations, ie my godmother who always wants to know where the vase is that she gave me for my engagement (woops took it back as had too many)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parents are generally pretty good, but I definitely have experience of children of taking age saying "i've already got this" - keep the receipts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Uli said - it's the kids that will let you know if they're 'of the age'.

    I have a cupboard with duplicates/unsuitables in it, although DS will notice this year if I whip something away out of sight, I reckon ...

    I keep meaning to regift, but, like, if *I* hate it ... I really don't want to pass it on ....

    Kids get too much these days anyway - if it's a double ? Well, tough, it's a spoare in case the first one ( inevitably ) gets trashed. Get over yourself, kid !

    :p

    ReplyDelete

Go on, be brave....make your mark here in my Comments section.