Saturday, July 01, 2006

Luscious lemon butter

What do you do with 30 odd Meyer lemons? You make oodles and oodles of lemon butter that's what you do! I was given two buckets of lemons courtesy of an elderly gentleman yesterday so I decided to honour him and make what most "ladies" of his time would have made - lemon butter. I found a recipe my Nanna (Dad's Mum) always used and converted the measurements for mine.

And didn't it present itself just beautifully. Have a look here (sorry the photo isn't great but it was a long day). Now...off to sneak some in before bedtime smothered across some wonderful fresh bread. Recipe for those interested is:

Lemon Butter
2 cups caster sugar
125g softened butter
3 eggs (if you only use the yolk it produces a much thicker consistency)
juice & rind/zest of 3 lemons (Meyer)

Beat eggs, add rest of ingredients and mix well. Cook in double boiler (I just used my stainless steel saucepan) or bowl over saucepan of water and stir constantly until mixture thickens. Pour into sterilised* glass jam jars immediately and cover when cold. You can make some fancy lid covers from fabric or paper if you wish. Place them on top fixed with an elastic band and some twine.

NB. Do not use cast iron or aluminium saucepans or it taints the taste of the finished result. Enamel or stainless steel saucepans are best.
I believe the mixture will keep for a couple of months if properly refrigerated OR if you can keep your hands off the stuff!!!!
* To sterilise jars wash in very hot soapy water, rinse in hot water and drain, then place upright on an oven tray and dry in oven - 120degC for 20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Ooo, I haven't had lemon butter for years, let alone made it before. Next time I know someone with an abundunce(!) of lemons I'll send them this way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will I make you jealous if I tell you I am hopping into some fresh scones smothered in lemon butter? Mmmm mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, be brave....make your mark here in my Comments section.