My best girlfriend Sal, from my days at a Catholic boarding school in the 80s came to stay for the night. She lives six hours drive west of me so it has been a long time (almost three years) since we last met - she hadn't even met our daughter. They formed an instant bond and I realised how much life changes when you have children, but for me so much has changed or been addressed since having a daughter. I have learnt so much about myself and the way I interract with others. Anyway, our friendship began in 1985 and is still strong and constant (that sounds like a hymn - pardon the pun!!) after twenty one years. We both agreed we haven't laughed so hard in a long time and probably didn't expect to laugh as much until our next catch-up. My partner listened to hours of gaggling and gobbling and told me at one point in the evening he thought both of us may have stopped breathing.
We reminisced over the good times, the scary times, the bad times and the absolute best times. I am so lucky to have had my friend for so long, it's such a wonderful feeling to re-live emotions and stories that you may have since forgotten.
How lucky you are to maintain such a friendship! It's very easy to let things slide, especially once you have a child. (Don't I know it!)
ReplyDeleteI know, I'm quite guilty at that too but I think you know it's a true friendship when you go so long without seeing each other or calling. We email often but it's never quite the same as a huge hug and plenty of giggles.
ReplyDeleteNew friends are lovely, but good, old friends are just the best.
ReplyDelete