Sunday, January 21, 2007

Dessert offerings..

We had some wonderful friends visit us today and I have to say it was so relaxing. It's not often I relax you know, well when I'm online I relax otherwise I race around the house with many purposes that not even I am sure of.

I am quite proud of this friendship as it began on an online chat/forum thingy, whatever you call them and is almost two years old. It worked out the lady and I had soooo much in common. Right down to the fact that her Dad and mine have worked together on an assignment PLUS we went to the same primary school at one stage. And the freakiest one of all, I bought something from her on ebay. It is such a small world, isn't it?!! Anyway, I'll cut that long story off here.

Her partner J, 4yo son and 8wk baby son joined us for a delightful summer lunch. When I say joined us, what I really meant is she brought everything along to make the most delicious bagels. Chilli chicken, roasted turkey breast, rocket, avocado, juicy ripe tomatoes and some serious condiments. You name it, we ate it!! I never raised a finger to help - she did it all in MY kitchen. Now, being the control freak I am that never happens. I wonder why I felt so comfortable letting her loose on my benchtop? Even the big fella commented.

So my contribution to the lunch was this Lemon & Honey Baked Ricotta - it's gluten free and low GI. Here is the recipe if you're interested. It featured in this month's issue of Australian Good Taste magazine and I mentioned it a few posts ago.




Lemon & honey baked ricotta
Serves 6-8
Prep 5 mins (+ 30mins cooling time)
Cooking 40mins

Ingredients
Olive oil spray
500g fresh ricotta (soft)
260g (1 cup) Greek style natural yoghurt
1 tbs finely grated lemon rind
60ml (1/4 cup) fresh lemon juice
125ml (1/2 cup) honey
3 eggs, lightly whisked
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
fresh peaches, to serve
(optional extra - double, thick cream & honey drizzled over top at serving time)

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180deg. Spray a 9cm x 23cm (base measurement) loaf pan with olive oil spray to lightly grease.
2. Use an electric beater to beat together the ricotta, yoghurt, lemon rind, lemon juice, honey, egg and cinnamon in a large bowl until smooth.
3. Pour the ricotta mixture into the prepared pan. Bake in oven for 35-40mins or until firm. Set aside for 30mins to cool.
4. Cut the peaches in half. Remove stones and cut into wedges. Cut ricotta into slices and top with peach to serve.

Sorry, I just realised I didn't take any photos at serving time. Damn. I did make some additions just prior to serving this dish though and I feel it really complemented it...I drizzled honey over the top and added some cream to the plates. Mmmmm, I wish it wasn't all eaten. At almost 11pm I could very well enjoy a slice right now!!

4 comments:

  1. Oooo...looks yummy!!! I've never tried anything like that before (its a bloody wonder!) I'm sure it would be delicious. As for the picnic lunch foods, my mouth is watering!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean you haven't tried it? Haven't you tried everything in the baking kitchen?!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, but I reckon I'll be trying this in the next few weeks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like people in my kitchen either. I feel like hyperventilating when they want to 'help', and start rifling through my cupboards etc ..

    Funny - I just bought something off Ebay the other day, only to discover the woman has a blog much like the ones I already read ;)

    ReplyDelete

Go on, be brave....make your mark here in my Comments section.