Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Mixing the genders..

Today I was faced with a minor playground "incident" when I took the girls for some energy exerting at 3:00pm. You see there were three small children playing amongst the treehouse. I heard Miss A go into the house with a bunch of leaves which she calls her letters (there is a timber letterbox attached to the front of the house), next thing I hear in a rather pissed off kiddie voice "we're not girls, we're boys and those things are leaves".

See, where we live there are quite a number of boys, both young and old with long(er) hair. I could feel the death stares from their Mothers as I slunk down to the swings to push Miss D. I felt like yelling out "oh get over it, don't dress them in pink & maroon if you don't want other kids mixing them up!". Sheesh, good afternoon turned sour pretty quickly. We had to go and get a round of gelati to cool down.

PS: I had one of these at lunchtime today, wow...they were tremendous. Currently there are four trees just smothered in avocadoes. What a treat!

2 comments:

  1. Young boys with long hair. Shiss. No wonder Miss A got confused, sometimes I do too. There used to be a young boy who attended our playgroup. His blonde hair was halfway down his back. Everytime I spied him playing away I always thought he was a she. Then he'd turn around and I'd think "ohh shite!" His mother was a horrible woman. The boy had no hope. Aren't I terrible?

    What are you going to do with allllll those avocadoes? You have so much fresh produce you should think about having a market stall! *heehee*

    ReplyDelete
  2. You name your child a gender non-specific name or dress them in gender non-specific clothing etc etc .. and you're going to find confusion. Ditto to hair.

    And that's all cool.

    But don't have a snit-fest if people get confused. I used to drape DS in MY pink pashmina when he was little, and we'd always get little girl comments. I didn't say a word - geez, people need to chill out ! :)

    ReplyDelete

Go on, be brave....make your mark here in my Comments section.