Today I made one of those gut wrenching decisions we all dread. That was to put my dog Jesse to sleep, she was nearing 15 years (22nd April). I knew the time was near but I've been in denial for so long, when you've had a pet since their birth it's so bloody hard. But, she has had such a good life and one with hardly any illness. I should also be thankful that Miss A didn't live too many years with her, sure they were close but aside from her asking where she is I don't think it will affect her greatly.
Oddly, I have handled it quite well but I really haven't talked to anyone about it. I know when I talk to my Dad on the phone I'll be a mess and he might just have to phone me at another time to make sense of what I'm saying. The big fella called me at lunchtime to see how my day without Miss A was progressing (childcare day) and must have suspected the worst when I burst into tears. I didn't go to the vet's surgery to say goodbye, I just couldn't bring myself to see her the way she was (info via the vet)...she was having a difficult time breathing and her heart was slowing at a rapid pace. It might be a cliche, but I'll just remember her as the good girl she was with the kindest eyes ever.
Thank you my little mate for all the wonderful times we had..she has seen so much of my life from 20yo - 35yo. For a bit of wild girl cum tame Mother you can imagine that dog has plenty of stories to tell all her doggie friends wherever she is now. Apparently she went to sleep with a smile, just like the one in the picture I've added here. Love you Jess.
Oh how terrible. I know what it is like to lose a family pet member. Horrible. Thinking of you....
ReplyDeleteOh you poor thing :(
ReplyDeleteI had similar sadness earlier this year. All the best to you...
How sad, yet beautiful... I'm glad you enjoyed her companionship for so many years... I'm sorry you had to say goodbye.
ReplyDeleteEm xx
Thanks for commenting guys, I still don't think it has really set in. Somehow after the babe is born and things return to a "normal" around here I might have a few more tears for the old girl.
ReplyDelete