Friday, September 26, 2008

When I have a moment, I'm reading..


I never knew 'Jamie At Home' was Sir Oliver's most popular cookbook to date. I borrowed it from the library this week - it features a superior, timeless design (that will always suck me in!) from front cover and beyond. It's all about 'the Good Life' and wholesome recipes, as well as grower's tips. A selection of those I've got on my hit list are the strawberry salad with speck and haloumi; potato & chorizo omelette with a kinda parsley salad; the Mothership tomato salad and last but not least, the ultimate mushroom bruschetta. 

It's a particularly inspiring book for someone like me, who has ventured into the world of growing produce (amateur style still) and this orchard of ours is constantly amazing me - only yesterday afternoon the girls and I wandered in and cleared out two mammoth tubs full of lemons and Navel oranges. The plums and peaches are already in abundance so I will certainly be bottling ample jam from those plums. I hadn't noticed all the mulberries either, so there I stood eating away until my hands and lips were stained. Neither of my girls are terribly interested in coloured fruits which drives me batty....I can only hope "it's just a phase" as everybody tells me. 

Anyway, flick through this book if you haven't already - it reminds me of why I love vegetables and fruit so much. Such honest food. Especially asparagus...which incidentally, has a wonderful living cleansing element. Did you know?

PS...Oh, there's a section on feathered and furred game, if you're game?! Maybe not for the faint-hearted.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I've got this book & can highly recommend the Lamb Koftas, baked cauli & broccoli cannelloni (though I hate to think of the fat conent), zucchini carbonara, smashed peas & beans!!!, pizza & calzone, not sure if I'll ever be game to make the EFR (Essex fried Rabbit) & the asparagus soup really didnt work for me at all. Still have heaps to try though because I have such an enourmous cookbook collection, I dont always get to things as soon as I would like, a pity I cant cook 3 meals a day!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, be brave....make your mark here in my Comments section.