Last night the big fella told me that people have been asking when I will be returning to work. He wouldn't tell me who was asking as he probably fears I will explode right in their very faces! I'm going to be completely upfront and honest, I am not a Mother who believes in returning to work when there are pre-school aged (not to mention newborn) children present. It works for some, but not me in the slightest. Most likely this stems from being abandoned quite often as a child by my own Mother. She would exclaim that she would be travelling abroad or having to go down south for this, that or the other. I still resent her for that...I always will. I just wanted my Mum to pick me up from school, to be home in the afternoons or to come and watch me swim that race.
Anyway, what are your reasons for staying at home with your child/ren?
For me it's the nuturing and providing a safe, secure and happy life at home. I also enjoy the practicality I'm teaching my little ones in the way of cooking, baking and general house duties. Some days it's boring - sure, but then other days when I take both the girls out to run errands and meet for activities it is so damn hectic I just wanna be at home again.
I cannot imagine ME going to work and trying to juggle all of this at the end of a working day.
Unfortunately, I don't think all people get the choice :(
ReplyDeleteI know many of my friends work for the sheer need of money to get by ( as opposed to luxuries etc ), so I have to be careful not to gloat, or seem to be taking my position for granted etc ...
But other than that, I agree with everything you said. My work is much more important HERE, growing and nurturing a special little being, than arguing on the phone with customers all day ;)
I was also a latch-key kid, and missed the warm house and baked goods after getting home from school. I'm determined to provide the life I yearned :)
You're very lucky - i'm getting a year off & then back to work part time only which shouldnt be too bad as for my 3 days of work the grandparents will be looking after my darling so its all in the family & for now I'm working one day a week from home so we get to stay together for a while longer
ReplyDeleteFor one thing, I don't have the support of parents etc in looking after Monet at my beck and call. I love the fact that I spend all my time with her as they grow so quickly and before you know it she'll be 18 and wanting to leave home. Maybe.
ReplyDeleteI come a family (& so does Lyndon) where our mothers stayed at home and were always there for us. I want the same for my child.
I don't want to offend anybody by the way. I don't really have the choice either you know, but I have made this a priority. Believe me, we struggle some weeks (more often that not would you believe). But, we make sacrifices not to eat out or to buy the things we really want. Which is why my KitchenAid Artisan mixer will probably never come ;-)
ReplyDeleteI have been working from home since my son was three months old. Most of the time I worked when he was asleep or with my partner or my mother. But now, he's now three and a half and spending three days at pre-school, and I miss him so much. I've cut back on the work because I know I only have a little time left with him, and it's not worth it to work and miss out on him altogether.
ReplyDeleteIt's very hard no matter what choice you make, I think.
As for the KitchenAid, I'll join you in lamenting its loss. But I'm finding the cheaper Breville version works just as well!
I love being at home with the kids, which was a total and utter surprise, as I was the least maternal person I know. Not that I was particularly career-minded either.
ReplyDeletePlus, I have HEAPS more time to read than I did when I worked (but don't tell anyone!)