Sunday, November 04, 2007

Nicknames..

Do you have nicknames for your children? Miss A has a few, Miss D already has a couple.

Whilst trying to nod off last night it occured to me that we only call Miss A by her nickname/s unless we are really cranky with her or formally writing her name. I was reminded of this when I had to fill out the forms for Kindy yesterday and it asked what name the child preferred. I almost wrote what we both call her which is 'Boomer' (the 'oo' is pronounced like that in the word vroom) - like most nicknames I can hardly remember where it came from but it's stuck and she likes it.

I have a couple of childhood nicknames that Dad and his friends came up with. One is Goya, the sound I repeatedly made when sucking my dummy (both my girls have made/make the same noise) and the other is Miss Muffet. Dad's best friend still calls me the latter which can be slightly embarrassing in a room of others not "in" on the personal joke.

My question and thoughts for today is do you ever grow out of nicknames?

3 comments:

  1. I have a few variations of my real name. Depending on when and how you met me, and through whom, depends on what you call me.

    People are always then asking me what I prefer, but I don't really care. You know those people that are always "It's SonJA, not SonYA" etc, and make you feel small ?

    I'm not one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not called 'Bruiser' any more!! (My nickname when I was about 4 - I was constantly getting bruises!) Only my dad and sister call me Mel. I don't like other people calling me Mel. Lyndon calls me Jane (my middle name) for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE a nickname & you are never too old. I agree with h&b - I'll answer to anything.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, be brave....make your mark here in my Comments section.