Monday, September 03, 2007

Raising girls..


"Why girls are different - and how to help them grow up happy and strong"

I'm reading this book at the moment, 'Raising Girls' by psychologist and parenting auther Gisela Preuschoff and published by Finch. I figured as I wasn't given too much of an opportunity to learn love, affection and attention as a child due to a fairly non-nurturing (an un-natural Mother if you like, says the book!!) Mother it is my intention to find inspiration from whatever resources I can. So far it's an insightful read and provides a lot of thought into the relationships that differ between Mum, Dad and daughter/s. Give it a flick if you see it around, it's in Big W and Target at a bargain price.

I found Chapter 8 (Relationships In The Family) of particular importance after Father's Day..one section stood out for me. Here is an excerpt from Fathers and daughters:
The father is the first man in the life of a little girl, and he plays an important role. He represents the masculine, the fascinating 'other', and thus is a role model. Daughters will compare every man who plays a part in their life with their father.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, be brave....make your mark here in my Comments section.