I just read this fantastic piece and I'm choosing to share it with you. It's not religious but it really accentuates how I feel about my surrounds.
Choose where you want to live
An old man was travelling between villages when he met a young man passing in the opposite direction. The young man was moving very slowly, dragging his feet, with his head hung low. When he saw the old man, he stopped and gruffly enquired “Old man, what are the people like in the village from where you've just come?”
The old man stopped and thought a moment, then replied, “What were they like in the village you've just left?”
The young man started berating the people calling them all names under the sun. “It was a terrible village he said “The people were angry, rude and selfish and that's why I'm leaving.”
“Oh, that's a shame” said the old man “For you'll find the people in the next village exactly the same.”
The young man mumbled under his breath and continued on his way.
Before too long, the old man encountered another young man heading from the same village as the first young man.
“Greetings old man” he smiled as the two met.
“Would you mind telling me” he said “What are the people like in the village from where you've just come?”
“What were they like” replied the old man “In the village you've just left?”
“Oh they were wonderful” laughed the young man, “Always happy, very helpful, courteous and extremely generous.”
“Well it seems you're in luck” smiled the old man, “Because you'll find the people in the next village exactly the same.”
So, ask yourself the question, “What are the people like in your village?” Is your town reflecting your joy, beauty and love or your anger, fear and bitterness?
Remember, there is no place you can live that hasn't got you in it! No matter where you go…there you are!
© Arcadia Love 2008
This is *essentially* how I feel about life in general, and where I live etc ( and I have lived in many places )
ReplyDeleteTHAT SAID .. I think in Australia, we are very blessed, and to live amongst rape, opression, starvation, disease and death would certainly take the wind out of my sails.
Or living in Dandenong/Cranbourne
Which is pretty much the same.
:p