I found breastfeeding enormously difficult with number one - I endured all sorts of struggles both medically and personally. There was mastitis three times, tending to those things that used to be called nipples (after all the trauma), nipple shields and more. After expressing via a pump for a few months gave up and turned to the trusty bottle. This time around though it's completely different in many aspects. I am really enjoying it, I'm finding it really very easy (well, 2am doesn't mean falling about the bedroom after too many wines anymore!!) and so special, something just her and I share. This is the part I feel sorry the other parent in the equation won't share...it's just "our time" in our own little breastfeeding world. Ha ha ha ha.So it's just gone three months feeding my new little one and today I'm feeling really "ugly". The hormonal changes have brought back some teenager style pimples. Not just one or two...oh no, I've had four since the weekend. Two weeks ago I booked a facial for myself and this evening is the appointment, what the heck is the beauty therapist going to think when she sees me. Especially since we have never met. I will be very quick to explain my situation. I am not embarrassed by them because I still go out in public, I just don't feel like me anymore.
The Australian Breastfeeding Association (ABA) has a fabulous website with all sorts of information and it has been my saviour at times where I have felt it too much. Those times where Miss A has begged me to "stop feeding the baby" and times where she has been screaming and I've wondered do I have enough milk. All the normal questions. At the same time I don't enjoy being lectured about breastfeeding nor being told it is the ONLY way. There are choices.
I found this sound advice on their site about looking after yourself though:
There are many little ways you can take care of yourself. Get enough rest. You may not be able to manage a daytime sleep, but try putting on some restful music, sit or lie comfortably with your eyes closed, and breathe slowly as you relax for ten minutes. Breastfeeding mothers can feed lying down, and read a book or magazine. When you notice yourself rushing and getting tense, deliberately do things slowly and carefully.
Develop a reasonably quiet, enjoyable activity which takes about half an hour, and try to do it every day.
* read the paper
* have a relaxing warm bath or shower
* a craft activity which can be done in small bits yet builds to a work of art, like patchwork, knitting, painting, needlework and carpentry
* go to your local library for books and magazines you can read in short bursts, perhaps on family history, travel, short stories, cooking, craft, or biography
* get to know your neighbourhood with different walks each day
* sit outdoors or garden while your baby plays under the sprinkler
* crossword, logic, brainteaser or other puzzles
* plan the itinerary of your next holiday
I'm so glad things are working so well for you this time! How wonderful! I struggled with breastfeeding each time... which still saddens me.
ReplyDeleteHey! Well done on the breast feeding thing. You sound as if you are doing well. Those ideas you isted from the ABFA site are pretty hilarious. You have to admit.
ReplyDeleteHey guys, thank you for the encouragement. It is definitely appreciated and what's more..required!
ReplyDeleteMelody, I'm glad you picked up on my sarcasm. How funny is that list?